Project of the Month built by apointofview
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Tips and Tricks > Bluing steel part.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #32
Wizard69

Liked 157 Times on 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchanan View Post
What oil do you use. I can get a good blue but when I oil it, the blue goes dull. I use engine oil.Thanks for the feedback.
I did do some steel blackening and used a gun treatment to provide additional protection. Probably BreakFree or something similar. Got the materials form a sporting goods store if I remember correctly. This certainly isn't blueing in the Blue sense.

These people sell a kit: http://www.caswellplating.com/metal-...xide-kits.html that seems to meet the needs of model engineers and the like. I suspect it is similar to what I used on a spacer block made for a tool post. It has held up well so far. Interestingly Caswell calls the coating a sealant. I have some other stuff I need to treat so Caswell may be getting an order from me soon. In any event don't have much experience beyond a couple of pieces and there I can't remember where I got the materials. I believe they where Birchwood-Casey.

Side note to myself, I really need to start writing this stuff down, old age is not kind to memory.