Project of the Month built by dnalot
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Plans > High Speed Steam Engine

Old 10-24-2015, 01:16 AM   #71
nemoc
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 37

WOW I love this video. Been showing it to everyone I know.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:06 AM   #72
windy

Liked 33 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoc View Post
WOW I love this video. Been showing it to everyone I know.
Thank you we have to keep these minority hobbies and sports alive otherwise they die.
I have another full size flash steam project in the wings but unless I can sort the personal competition medical red tape sorted out it will be a dead duck.
The help that enthusiasts from my previous life has been tremendous but the modern competition health rules might kill it a thing that was minimal in 1970.
At the moment if I get the medical all clear it might be interesting to pure speed buffs but will not say too much till built if I get the medical OK.
I should know next week but feel doubtful which will disappoint many genuine supporters of my proposed project.
A challenge is what I like and this would certainly be that if allowed.

From Windy a pure speed nut despite the appearance.

Windy

Old 07-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #73
windy

Not the best of days at Kingsbury Water Park the water was high which makes for difficulty launching my hydro.
My main flash steam opposition Bob his crankshaft broke and caused a steam generator burst.
My first run looked promising and the valve modifications worked but disaster raised its head and my generator popped.
A spare was fitted but maybe damage had been done to engine or pumps and it was difficult to keep the burners alight.
It's last attempt managed an average sp
eed over five 100 metre laps was 116 mph and one lap at 118 mph.
I had my friend John shoot the video at close quarters in the water and it looks very fast close up but have lost over 11 mph.
Strip down today to see what's up.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:45 PM   #74
Mark Rand
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Two dumb questions:-
  1. Is the line from the outside of the hull/sponson at the start a safety cutout or to ensure that the boat can't turn inwards after release?
  2. Has anyone thought about compounding a uniflow engine along the lines of the Willans Centre Valve engine?
Regards
Mark Rand (at the Willans and Robinson works in Rugby)

Old 11-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #75
windy

Last week spent 3 glorious days at Coniston water speed record attempts the weather was first class.
My model and full size boat friend was trying to break his old record for flash steam boats.
As what is not unusual in most record attempts first time out there are gremlins to sort out for next years attempts.
Even so the satnav showed an increase in the record speed if only for a short distance before the generator cooled. The V twin engine has desmo inlet valves and uniflow exhaust the prop goes at twice engine speed.
We were involved in a minor way with Miss Albatross Gem Turbine powered boat team they also had problems.
Roger my young friend who brought me to the record attempt had to get his hands mucky trying to fit an igniter in the Gem Turbine

Attached Thumbnails
Johns engine 0.JPG   JDM 1.JPG   Miss Albatross.JPG   Roger on Gem Turbine.JPG  
james_III Likes This 
Old 11-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #76
james_III
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 43

So ermmmm wow Did not know these thing exist in large scale as well, that would be fun project.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:16 PM   #77
windy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_III View Post
So ermmmm wow Did not know these thing exist in large scale as well, that would be fun project.
There are many engineering potential speed record projects being made in various sheds and workshops in the UK.
Some I have seen being made and near completion one makes my steam model look so tame it's a full size steam propelled machine capable of extreme speed.
I have seen it run just on high pressure compressed air and was very impressed.
When it has been tested on the track and have been given permission by it's professional race engineer builder I will show pictures or video of it.
So watch this space it should if time permits be running next year.
charlesfitton Likes This 
Old 03-01-2017, 12:32 AM   #78
windy

Temptation got started in the workshop just got fed up of being stuck in a bed at the hospital and playing with the laptop there.
Would like a lathe with a bit more grunt but will get there in the end.
Just removed the scale off my EN24 T crankshaft billet.
Back in my little heaven knob twiddling again what with the full size project and the model hydro to rebuild time is in short supply.

Attached Thumbnails
0013.jpg