Project of the Month built by sbdtasos
Home Model Engine Machinist > CNC and 3-D Printers > CNC Machines and Conversions > Mach3- 4th axle

Old 10-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
georgjorge

Liked 10 Times on 3 Posts

Default Mach3- 4th axle

Hello,

could anyone tell me how to generate G-code for the 4th axle in Mach3? What I would like to do is to turn an item (like on lathe) which is fastened horizontally into the round table. I am using SheetCam TNG for milling, but there is no way to generate code for the 4th axle.

Jorge

Old 10-15-2016, 09:51 PM   #2
blighty

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 11

going to be a bit hard if you want to do continuous 4 axis machining, but if you just need to step the 4th then you can just add the code in at the appropriate place.

e.g G01 Xwhat ever drill a hole
G00 get the Z out the way
G00 A turn 90
G01 X drill another hole
G00 get the Z out the way
G00 A turn 180
etc
etc

hope that made sense.

canadianhorsepower Likes This 
Old 10-16-2016, 06:52 AM   #3
georgjorge

Thank you for your reply and the proposal. The applications, I have in mind, are to mill slots into a cylinder and to engrave text into a cylinder. The cylinder is fastened in a round table parallel to x-axle. I thought, there is software or a macro existing to support this kind of works.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
rodw

Liked 288 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgjorge View Post
Hello,

could anyone tell me how to generate G-code for the 4th axle in Mach3? What I would like to do is to turn an item (like on lathe) which is fastened horizontally into the round table. I am using SheetCam TNG for milling, but there is no way to generate code for the 4th axle.

Jorge
There is a solution for rotary cutting with Sheetcam but it might not give you lathe capability. You need to unwrap the design so it is a flat image the same length as the circumference. There is software that will do that. Then you just reconfigure your system so the travel distance is based on the circumference per revolution.

If you just want continuous turning on the 4th axis, you could consider plugging your 4th axis into an Arduino and use my controller sketch which supports Continuous turning.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist....ad.php?t=25091

Old 10-16-2016, 12:30 PM   #5
blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgjorge View Post
Thank you for your reply and the proposal. The applications, I have in mind, are to mill slots into a cylinder and to engrave text into a cylinder. The cylinder is fastened in a round table parallel to x-axle. I thought, there is software or a macro existing to support this kind of works.
in that case you could do it by plugging you A axis stepper in to your Y axis controller. then write the g code as if your part was flat. you would need to work out the circumference of your part, then change you step unit for the 4th axis. to match. bit of a pain in the bum to do thi but it should get you going till you find a better way.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #6
georgjorge

Thank you for all the solutions. I found a software solution for my application, which could be of interest :

http://www.cncwrapper.com/

Jorge

Old 10-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #7
blighty

by the looks of it, that software does what i said. but a lot easer.

good find