Project of the Month built by sbdtasos
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Metals > Cast iron crankshaft?

Old 02-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
grizelli

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I like it! My crank is a little more difficult because each cylinder has 2 opposed pistons, and one lags the other by around 15 degrees, so none of the crankpins are in line with any of the others - picture here of the first one maybe shows this a bit. In spite of this, loctiting all the webs to a single shaft would certainly help alignment and straightness.

Thanks a lot, you've given me plenty to chew on. Time to start making more swarf :-)

Cheers
Martin

Attached Thumbnails
DSC04999 small.jpg  

Old 02-07-2016, 04:21 AM   #12
Hopper

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I just happened to be working my way through a pile of old MEW's rescued from a shed demolition job (no, I got there too late for the good stuff).

Issue 35 has a very good 11-page article on "Machining model crankshafts - materials, tooling and methods" and would be well worth rounding up a copy if you can.

It covers assembled and cast and one-piece machined crankshafts.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #13
grizelli

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Many thanks, I'll see if I can dig up a copy. I am currently deciding whether to go down the 'machine solid bar between centres', or the 'fabricate with lots of bars which are then mostly sawn off ' approaches. Plenty of other bits to work on which I decide.

Thanks again
Martin

Old 04-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #14
cynthiamyra

If you want to create an artificial crank, you can use a process of metal forming to as the forging process. In forging, a hot chunk of rolled cast iron is placed between heavy dies having the pattern of a crankshaft. The metal is squeezed into the crank's basic shape by applying extreme pressure from a forging press. The simplest crank forging dies are arranged in a single plane, which produces a crank forging that, has all the crankpins in one plane. To index the crank throws at 90 degrees, the raw forging is twisted to offset the journals in two planes to create the final raw crank blank.
You can use an improved forging process which includes forging the crank in two planes, so that all the journals are pressed into their final configuration. It eliminates the need to twist the crank to index the journals.
By using this method you get fewer internal stresses in the forging, as well as an improved grain flow in the cast iron. Crankshafts made with this type of tooling are called as non-twist forgings. Tooling for a non-twist forging is more complex and less durable than that for a simple flat forging. There is more excess material to be machined from such a blank to create a finished crankshaft. You can produce crankshafts forgings in huge volumes which are naturally gravitated to the lower cost and higher tooling life of a flat forging. These high-end non- twisted cranks can be easily used for many engines.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #15
grizelli

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for that, Cynthia. Unfortunately, even the last 60 years spent in all aspects of mechanical engineering has not yet persuaded me to invest in a massive furnace and a set of drop-hammers - oh, and of course, a building to put them in. I suspect that it might be overkill for the single model engine that I'm building, but thanks for reminding me of a process that I first learned about in 1963 when a flying piece of red-hot slag off a drop hammer hit me just below the eye

el gringo Likes This