Project of the Month built by edholly
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Metals > 01 tool steel tapping

Old 02-17-2016, 04:38 AM   #11
Parksy
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 332 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Drilled and tapped tool steel the other day and had zero issues. Will only ever tap straight after drilling, so everything is lined up and I can use the chuck to support the end of the tap. Haven't broken a tap using this method and if tapping hard material, will only use HSS taps.

larry1 Likes This 
Old 02-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #12
Swifty

Liked 813 Times on 595 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Tapping tool steels should be no problem at all, after more than 35 years working with all types of steel making press tools, problems were few. Use the right size drill, don't let it work harden the steel by using a blunt drill or running it too fast. When hand tapping, use a small square to check that the tap is not on a lean, and use a cutting oil.

Paul.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #13
Naiveambition

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default 01 tool steel tapping

Well plan c and d came together today. I was able to tap easily using10/24. Initially I thought 8/32 but didn't want to risk anymore chances.
So moving on I, drilled two more holes for gib holders, and using the countersink knowledge, tried 6/32 again. Well that went bad, then realized my holes are on the wrong side of workpiece. So now need to redo my mating dovetails again. So after removing broken tap I finished in 10/24. Still need to find the tap holder. I remember hearing the telltale clanking of it going all the way down an behind the tool box after throwing it

I had never planned on hardening, I was hoping for reduced long term wear using a tool steel vs softer steel. Would of liked the ways to be hardened but this is personal preference and as you say would be worth nill as far as machining is involved, but is nice to brag to the Buddys .

I think most issues were not countersinking coupled with being round , so thanks to who pointed that out. I will follow advise on small taps since all of mine are 3 flute. Thanks for all replys

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg