Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Tools > Change Gear 1953 Cincinnati Tray Top

Old 11-09-2017, 11:23 PM   #1
restore49

Default Change Gear 1953 Cincinnati Tray Top

Trying to find pressure angle so I can order cutter. 30 Tooth OD 1.7273 DP 22. Tried comparing prints but my eyes are no help. Was thinking 14.5 but concerned Cincinnati may have used proprietary angle ( new $1200.46) Is there a tooth to tooth measurement?? This is the gear it contacts. Bob

Attached Thumbnails
Cincinnati Tray Top.png   img006.jpg  

Old 11-10-2017, 12:07 AM   #2
MRA

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A good few people on here have recommended this guy's method for making your own cutter:

http://www.helicron.net/workshop/gearcutting/

I've read it, and it looks good. You could make a cutter for 14.5 deg PA, cut the gear in something soft, and see how well it works?

I want to make a couple of change-wheels just to prove to myself I can. I might even cast blanks with curly spokes, just to show off to myself / give me more reason to be angry with myself if I mess it up

Old 11-10-2017, 01:41 AM   #3
restore49

Looks possible to build a cutter - can buy cutters for 10-22$ -- just need to figure out the Pressure Angle. Bob

Old 11-10-2017, 01:42 AM   #4
DJP

Liked 59 Times on 50 Posts

I cut a replacement gear with teeth at 30 degrees for a worn out Braun food processor. The processor was our wedding gift and parts are no longer available so I justified buying a milling machine to cut a new gear (my wife approved). My method was to attach the worn gear to one end of a shaft that has bushings and a locking bolt and a new gear blank to the other end then mount the bushing holder in a milling vise at the angle desired. I then incremented the worn gear by one tooth, locked the shaft in place and cut one tooth in the blank. 42 teeth later and it was done. It worked so well that I cut two more as spares. The food processor should run for at least 120 years more.

Making a new gear out of Delrin as a test would be wise. My method, although crude, was effective for the requirement. I only needed one.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:53 AM   #5
Cogsy

Liked 450 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Quote:
Originally Posted by restore49 View Post
Looks possible to build a cutter - can buy cutters for 10-22$ -- just need to figure out the Pressure Angle. Bob
Using that link to make the cutter means you can whip up a homemade cutter in a couple of hours (at most really) and cut a test gear to check the pressure angle. If need be you could just keep making cutters with different pressure angles til you narrow it down, then buy the correct cutter if you like. It really is a simple process and works very well.
RM-MN Likes This 
Old 11-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
RM-MN

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Combine the suggestions in post #2 and #4, make the gear cutter out of 1018 and the gear blank from Delrin (acetal). It is fast and easy to make the cutter and Delrin may be all you need for the strength the gear needs. The manufacturer of your lathe might have even used Delrin for those gears had it been invented then.

I just used a Dremel tool to cut the gashes in the cutter and it worked fine in Delrin. With steel you would need to use a heat treatable steel and make the back relief before hardening it.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
lathe nut
Lathe Nut
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

I have a 1951 recently got from Craig list, it is the 12 1/2" X 36" real good price because there is a great in the quick change box that is bad, I will look that number and post it maybe we are dealing with the same gear, out of all the machines that I have I like it the best, course getting read t been using it but can't thread or use the feed or cross auto until I get that gear changed, that is a winter project, getting a 16" south bend with a long bed, it needs cleaning and a paint job but is in super shape, fellow just wants it out of his shop, be there for 20 years and never used it, if you want let's share where we can get parts and info. do you have a parts breakdown, I did call Cincinnati the first thing the fellow told me was our parts are very expensive, after that statement I will not buy from them, wonder why other countries and replacing items over here about an attitude like his for starters, I am done.
Attached Thumbnails
angle shot.jpg   carriage.jpg   speed selector.jpg  

Last edited by lathe nut; 11-12-2017 at 11:47 AM. Reason: add photo's

Old 11-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
restore49

We have Twins!. Looks to be in great shape. Should shortly know the specifications on the change gears and after that any gear in the box should be replaceable. Goggle Cincinnati manual #T-107-3 will be free to download and covers your Lathe. More than happy to help. Bob

Old 11-15-2017, 02:37 AM   #9
lathe nut
Lathe Nut
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by restore49 View Post
We have Twins!. Looks to be in great shape. Should shortly know the specifications on the change gears and after that any gear in the box should be replaceable. Goggle Cincinnati manual #T-107-3 will be free to download and covers your Lathe. More than happy to help. Bob

Thanks Bob, I did send you a PM the gear part number is: 604482, thanks for any help that you can point me to, Joe

Old 11-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
restore49

Joe:
Can not find that number in parts prints? - could you give a clue where in the machine the gear is. Bob