Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Tools > BAZMAK a second Lathe

Old 07-08-2017, 05:12 AM   #81
bazmak
BAZMAK
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 959 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Well i put everything back together and it does run slightly more noisy
but nothing to worry about.I would rather have the 3 main drive gears
in brass and steel rather than plastic.I now have spares so i can now
start getting some work out of the lathe,and i normally disconnect the leadscrew for most machining except for power feed
I have started to make a no3 MT test bar and although the tailstock
can offset sufficiently its too much for stable machining so will have to
try a new setup using the compound.All trial and error

Old 07-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #82
goldstar31

Liked 327 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazmak View Post
Hi Norm,no i am NOT having a go with the simplex i only said i had the plans(drawings)Too long and too expensive at my age.I am just looking for things to do with some of the tools i have made.Thats why i cut the gears
Used my new invalute cutters and the indexer with worm and wheel
Tell me can you offset the tailstock far enough to cut a MT ?. Will have to use a centre and driving dog in the headstock
Apologies but I'm part of a 300 year Tercentary celebration which now involves a 'bunfight' involving some 650 of us and there is no guarantee that we will be returning to our beds at midnight.charity We've already had a WW1 Victoria Cross thing in London complete with the requisite Royalty and a lot of Worldwide invites!

So the poorest answer will have to do and I would mention that there is a kit listed as HK176X with Hemingwaykits but and described as a Setover center by Ian Bradley.

So where are the drawings, you may ask? I actually found them in the 1950's issues of Popular Mechanics which has the Southbend answers for another poster and also Cleeve's Swing Tool of which I have as an original design.
Again, there is other very interesting ideas which should temp the model engineer who might be surprised at just how much still appears by Googling.

What I alsoi found wsas a set of dimensioned drawings for the Offset Tailstock Center was on 'Country Plans again on the 'net. They may have to be re-dimensioned but look sound enough.

I did ALL this a million years ago and then mentioned that a boring head can usually work if the cutting tool is replaced with a centre/center.

Again, it might necessitate using a half centre or waisted ones or even using ball bearings for female centres.

So tomorrow, I will NOT be sober

regards

N

NB Can anyone offer dimensions for a missing Woodruf Key No90?

Bloody Myford-- mutter, mutter!

Old 07-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #83
goldstar31

A further few minutes has revealed that I have something called a'No2 Morse Taper Arbour Taper Tool' from Jabus Tools

This follows the general engineering principles described earlier. Except that the adjustment is pegged to give 1, 2 and 3 Morse tapers i.e. without using a setting bar.

In the post came my order for Myford bronze bushes------and wait for it, a unexpected cheque from the tax people which was enough to buy the proposed Metric Lathe.

I definitely will not be available for much tomorrow

Regards- hiccup- burp

Norm

Old 07-19-2017, 11:45 PM   #84
bazmak
BAZMAK
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	89993just a try out
h7eh7e Likes This 
Old 07-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #85
bazmak
BAZMAK
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Hi Norm glad you got the lathe.Now that Angie has solved our problem of posting photos so easily thru the forum without using a 3rd party host like photobucket,i can again start posting.If anybody out there needs photos reposting then let me know and ii will add to this thread.The small aluminium
QCTP i bought for the mini lathe works well so i have bought a 250-100 for the
larger lathe with one holder.Will fit it to the SC4 lathe and give it a try.Will then make a family of holders to work alongside my std 3 and 4 way tool posts
Will post with photos i hope Regards barry

Old 07-20-2017, 08:52 AM   #86
goldstar31

Hi Baz

I'm sure that I am not alone in being pleased to see you back and that Angie seems to have also found a solution. Long may it last!

Actually the 'new' lathe has yet to arrive but the price is right and I'll have to pick your brain about additional chucks and 'this and that'
The price, regardless of anything, is trifling and if it all goes pear shaped, I'll not worry

In addition, I'm sort of getting a 'new' workshop. I have a nice cleaning lady and a very 'with it' husband. The latter is going to strip my old and leaking wooden shed and build around the now rotten timber. I'll now get height and more width.

I live- confession, confession in a very snobby area and people don't like people who have hobbies.

Oddly, the news has just been published about the desirability of of exercise, hobbies and whatever to stem dementia which is the UK's largest killer.

To add to things, I must now learn to take photos and - maybe publish.

Watch this space

Norm

Old 07-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #87
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 663 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Baz,

If you are going to be making your own holders for the 'Aloris' type QCTP, don't forget to make some only half height.

These can be used with say 1/8" to 1/4" tooling, even 3/8" at a push (I have the 200 sized QCTP so normally holds 1" tooling), and because of the lower strain on small sized tooling, it doesn't require the full height of dovetail to keep them rigid, and if the holder doesn't completely cover the piston part, they work just as well. Maybe you will require some slightly longer adjusting screws to get you down to centre. Normally you can get two holders out of the material of normal height ones, so saving a lot of work and material costs.

John

Old 07-21-2017, 12:13 AM   #88
bazmak
BAZMAK
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks John, please keep us up on your health problems,which i am sorry to hear about.I will start a thread on the QCTP once i get it fitted.I bought one toolholder only so i can use it and get dims for making more.I may buy more
as they are $25 a pop but good quality.By the time i have bought steel and screws etc and machined everything it might be better to buy more basic ones and just make specials.Nice to see you are still keeping an eye onus and still posting.There are a no of friendly posters i class as favourites and you are one of them. Regards barry

Old 07-21-2017, 12:38 AM   #89
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 663 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Thanks Baz,

I don't want this little malady to come to the fore, I will just keep going until I can't do it any more.

It is a shame you don't live nearby, a couple of years ago I picked up a piece of bar about 4ft long that is perfect for making the smaller sized holders (or even the larger ones, but less of them), it was one of the jobs that were destined to be completed, and now is just sitting in my metal pile rusting away.

John

Old 07-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #90
bazmak
BAZMAK
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Making a test bar for the beNCH LATHEClick image for larger version

Name:	01 TEST BAR .jpg
Views:	109
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	90057