Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Mistakes, Blunders and Boo Boos > Lathe accident, Tool organizer, bad idea.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #31
bazmak
BAZMAK
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 961 Times on 554 Posts
Likes Given: 774

As an apprentice many years ago same thing happened to a lad on the next machine.Single point screw cutting very slow speed
his sleeve caught on the faceplt drive dog.I have never heard a scream like it.Fortunately someone hit the safety switch quickly
but not before his arm went round 3 or 4 times,many broken bones and machine phobia afterwards.Its always there in my mind 50 yrs
later when reaching over a moving chuck BAZMAK

People Like This 
Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #32
gus
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1161 Times on 815 Posts
Likes Given: 1539

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazmak View Post
As an apprentice many years ago same thing happened to a lad on the next machine.Single point screw cutting very slow speed
his sleeve caught on the faceplt drive dog.I have never heard a scream like it.Fortunately someone hit the safety switch quickly
but not before his arm went round 3 or 4 times,many broken bones and machine phobia afterwards.Its always there in my mind 50 yrs
later when reaching over a moving chuck BAZMAK
Hi Bazmak,
I am with you.
Here is my Preventive Measures.
See foto.
As of day one since 2004 when I started working on the home machineshop lathe,I made it a point all tools are placed nearby and not on the "reach over rack" where I store spray cans,'O' rings and springs.
The hot weather here is 'pro safety',I wear no long sleeve,I work topless,no tee shirt.No gloves. Tool holders are kept in the tray on the lathe gear box.All other essentials are racked in front of me within easy reach. I have seen finger chopped off.Another incident nearly chopped off. All these are bitter pills.
Same reason why I bought a Bandsaw instead of rotary saw.Both will cut my fingers but a bandsaw with very small teeth may not cut like lightning but a circular saw will cut my fingers like lightning.
Have no desire to depart with less than 10 fingers.

Take care. We machine for fun,no rush = = =no accidents.

Regards,

Gus

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1311.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #33
narrowgauger

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey Gus

I can see about 10 serious safety problems in your photographs, including:

- container with toolholders on headstock: this tray can vibrate off at any moment distracting you whilst the machine is running;
- the work area is far too crowded for safe operation;
- power board in your work area; appliance socket could become partially dislodged from socket and swarf shorting / fire risk
- shelf above lathe; too many boxes stacked above each other; risk of falling whilst lathe in operation - distraction risk etc.

have fun
Bernard (certified OH&S officer)
People Like This 
Old 01-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #34
robcas631
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 3583

We are creatures of habit. As with any machine.... such as a car ect.....used unwisely = scared, hurt or worse. Thus we should design our shops accordingly.

"Times are worse than they should be but not as bad as they could be." <<< Me

Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #35
robcas631
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 3583

Rushing.....is not worth it! If you work like me, hours go by like minutes. Always stay caffinated! Despite the mundane stay focused.

"Times are worse than they should be but not as bad as they could be." <<< Me
larry1 Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #36
gus
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1161 Times on 815 Posts
Likes Given: 1539

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrowgauger View Post
Hey Gus

I can see about 10 serious safety problems in your photographs, including:

- container with toolholders on headstock: this tray can vibrate off at any moment distracting you whilst the machine is running;
- the work area is far too crowded for safe operation;
- power board in your work area; appliance socket could become partially dislodged from socket and swarf shorting / fire risk
- shelf above lathe; too many boxes stacked above each other; risk of falling whilst lathe in operation - distraction risk etc.

have fun
Bernard (certified OH&S officer)
Hi Bernard,

Great to hear from a certified OSHA Officer. Nowadays all building construction sites in Singapore must have Certified Safety Officers to cut number of fatal injuries.All power tools must be inspected and signed off by a Licensed Electrician. Fine for every violation is S$100. Repeat offenders are banned from entering job site.
As for factories,it is in-house Safety Committee's job. Accident rate is very low.Sat in this committee and had a lot of fun.Usually over done or under done.New committee members are so "GungHo". Vets are so easy going.
I have 100 ton power presses running and no committee member had enough safety know-how.No worry.We use two hand operations with guard. For so many years to hand of finger injuries.

However I did have some "smart ideas" how to operate the lathes safely.

I have banned Sub-Contractors working in my Plant. So safety shoes,no safety goggles and safety belt. Tried using my abrasive cut-off saw w/o permission.
No worries.
1. Small machine,no heavy load no vibrations.
2.The power sockets power only one tool at any time.No overload. Metal
chips is a potential problem. Now being addressed.Thanks for spotting
this.
3.You are right the shelf has too many boxes. Housekeeping is about to be
done .Collected to many.
Gus is happily laid off 2001 with generous compensation.

Best Regards,

Gus.

Nice and hot today.

Last edited by gus; 01-25-2013 at 12:46 AM.
robcas631 Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #37
rodw

Liked 311 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 161

This thread has got me thinking. I also have a shelf over my lathe that predates the lathe purchase. Now I am upgrading to a bigger lathe, I thought I might tack a strip of timber along the front of the shelf to form a lip to stop stuff falling off into a spinning lathe. (that is if people don't mind me talking about woodwork on this forum!)

I had an experience where I stupidly tried to file a chamfer one handed and the chuck grabbed the file and broke it in half, flinging the pieces accross the shop. I was very pleased to be standing to the side of the chuck. I file with two hands now. The new machine has a safety cover over the chuck which will stay in place.....

I never realised how dangerous this stuff could be until reading this.
robcas631 Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 AM   #38
jack620

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Rod,
I had a similar experience. After that I bought a proper Pferd brand lathe file. The teeth on the file are at a sharper angle and run in the opposite direction to a normal file. As a result the file wants to push away from the chuck. There are no teeth on the edges, so if it does contact the chuck it is less likely to grab. And it is 300mm long which keeps your hands further from the chuck. I highly recommend buying one.

http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201...201a0207P.html

Chris
robcas631 Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #39
rodw

Liked 311 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack620 View Post
Rod,
I had a similar experience. After that I bought a proper Pferd brand lathe file. The teeth on the file are at a sharper angle and run in the opposite direction to a normal file. As a result the file wants to push away from the chuck. There are no teeth on the edges, so if it does contact the chuck it is less likely to grab. And it is 300mm long which keeps your hands further from the chuck. I highly recommend buying one.

http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201...201a0207P.html

Chris
Thanks Chris, I'll keep it in mind.
robcas631 Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #40
Lawijt

Liked 78 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Some years ago , I was working with a Dremel & a drill from 0.3mm. At one moment the drill was broken,so I take a other one.
After some hours my finger hurts a lot. In the hospital,the medic found the broken drill. Check the foto....

People Like This