Project of the Month built by gbritnell

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Tools > Band saw

Old 10-24-2017, 03:01 AM   #11
john_reese

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard69 View Post
This is an important point, you might not have the power needed by going to a variable speed motor solution. However given that is ti fairly easy to get a 10- 1 reduction from a single stage belt drive which puts a variable speed motor is a far better position for delivering power.
Many years ago my brother and I adapted a Delta wood cutting saw for metal. We modified an old coal stoker gear box as a reduction gear. I believe it gave about 20:1 reduction. That gearbox had its own motor .. We mounted that gearbox and the original motor so we could run the belt to either one depending on what we were cutting. The stoker gearbox had a worm gear reduction followed by a planetary reduction. We eliminated the planetary stage. The stoker gearboxes used to be used to turn the spit on hog roasters. Unfortunately most of those gearboxes were scrapped many years ago. We got lucky and found one in a scrap yard around 1960. A used 20:1 worm drive would work nicely.