Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Mistakes, Blunders and Boo Boos > Canned air is extremely explosive...

Old 10-25-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
Tin Falcon
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 814 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Dustoff MSDS

1,1-Difluoroethane 100%

Spill or Leak: Although the chances of a large spill or leak are unlikely in aerosol containers. If a spill can cause
a concentration in excess of 1,000 ppm, stop flow and remove ignition sources. Evacuate area.
Ventilate area, especially low places where heavy vapors might collect

Old 10-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #12
Art K

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

While you all are checking your can of air I'm having visions of the "Lock out Tag out" video I watched for a previous job. Need I say more?
Art

Old 11-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #13
Wizard69

Liked 183 Times on 163 Posts

One suggestion, read the label! Even these so called canned air sources come with a variety of chemical make ups.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:29 AM   #14
Kwtaylor

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Naphtha, the iron, the camp stove.

Fond memories of being terrified. Dear Dad, cheap as he was, put naphtha in the camp stove. Wouldn't light, pumped it up some more, 5 or 6 more matches, lit slow. As it warmed up, it did better, and the coffe pot was set on.

Then the stove decided we would cook coffee like right now. Flames every where. Flaring, Billowing, towering flames in the morning dew.

The image of my Dad launching the fuel tank out into the lake before it exploded is one of many fond memories of camping in my youth. Fortunately, I cannot give my kids the same nightmares!
valentin Likes This 
Old 10-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #15
mcostello

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Your lucky My Wife would laugh. This post makes Me wonder if a source of Model engine propellant was just found.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:44 PM   #16
Foozer
HMEM_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 74 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When kids were young - Gave them the lesson about pressured containers and the burn pile - Would toss a spray can into the pile and wait - Never explicitly told them not to do such a thing - Was enough to set the impression of knowing your surroundings and be aware of what could go wrong . .

Old 10-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #17
mcostello

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Neighbor was welding and wanted to give the just welded part a "hot coat" of paint so it would dry quickly. He set the hot electrode down touching the aerosol can and it blew up,with a piece of the can taking out an eye ball permanently.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:51 AM   #18
Lykle

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A lot of those cans are actually Propane.
It is stupid that it is not clearly marked on those cans. I use it for my 3D printing and went over the whole can looking for the content. It simply was not on it.
But boy, did it produce a flame!!

Now I am using a different brand, Super Duster by AF and I cannot get that stuff to ignite. Happy with that, as the printer does have hot surfaces and might have a spark here and there.

Lykle

Old 11-19-2016, 01:26 AM   #19
valentin

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks for share this lesson painfully learned. Just once in my life I used canned air, for an airbrush, many years ago. I will take in mind your experience for if the case. Hope youŽll be better soon.