Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Tools > Tips on selecting a lathe -will it thread

Old 11-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #51
Blogwitch
Ex Bogstandard
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 663 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 66

R,

Don't worry, those two small machines are about the most popular two in the world, it 'seems' that about 50% of model engineers use one or the other or both, and you only have to look around to see what can be really made with them.

If you do start to get vibrations, it is usually to do with how you are using the machines, and experience will soon have you vibration free. You can't learn everything in a few weeks, and in my opinion, two to three years usually sees a very competent model engineer emerging, and you never cease learning.

Also, both these machines can be modified fairly easily and cheaply with new head bearings fitted, and the list goes on and on to what you can do to them to improve their machining capabilities.
I took a mini lathe back to the basics a few years back as it was unusable because of a banana shaped bed (a very early machine), but when finished with, it was a fantastic, super accurate little machine.
I have recently bought an X2 mill that is destined to become a CNC machine, so I like them as well.

BTW, if you have a little bit of time on your hands, these three links are well worth watching as even though not for a smaller lathe, they do give a good rundown on what it is all about and how to achieve what you want. They also do a set for the milling machine.

John

Last edited by Blogwitch; 11-07-2016 at 12:07 PM.