Project of the Month built by mirek111

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Engines From Castings > Patterns

Old 03-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #1
Powder keg

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Default Patterns

Here is a quick picture of some of the patterns I'm trying to finish up. I just drew the layout the lines so I can drill them for the pins that will locate the two half's of my split patterns. I'll try and get some more photos of me doing this step.

I got a new camera and I need the practice)

Later, Wes

Idaho:o)

A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
BobWarfield

Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts

Default Re: Patterns

Wes, are you going to take us all the way through cast on this thread?

Patterns are looking very cool!

Best,

BW

Old 03-01-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
Powder keg

Yes, but my back yard is still too muddy( Soon though. I cleaned off my molding bench and when I get these patterns done I'll have something to cast. I have a few more patterns that I'm working on, kind of in a mad dash to get the harder patterns done while I have access to the neat CNC machines at school. Their router is amazing. I could keep one of those busy for a while.

Wes

A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #4
Brass_Machine

Liked 33 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The middle flywheel on the top row... very cool.

CNC machines are great. I am acquiring the parts to convert both my mill and lathe. I have the opportunity coming to get some 80/20 to frame out a router as well.

Can't wait to see where this thread goes.

Eric

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

A still more glorious dawn awaits...-Carl Sagan

Old 03-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #5
Powder keg

Thats my favorite also)

I layed out the holes and drilled the first side all the way through. Then I clamped the two half's together and drilled through the holes that I just drilled. This insures that the two half's line up. Next I'll glue some tooth picks in for alignment pins.

After the pins are dried, I'll start sanding the patterns.

Later, Wes

Old 03-02-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
BobWarfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder keg
Yes, but my back yard is still too muddy( Soon though. I cleaned off my molding bench and when I get these patterns done I'll have something to cast. I have a few more patterns that I'm working on, kind of in a mad dash to get the harder patterns done while I have access to the neat CNC machines at school. Their router is amazing. I could keep one of those busy for a while.

Wes
Wes, routers are one of the easiest CNC's to make. No end of articles on CNCZone. RE 80/20, sees Joes new 4x4 design on the 'Zone, which is 80/20. Looks like a real nice build out.

You could do this kind of work on a CNC converted mill, but the router allows for larger projects too.

Thanks for starting this thread. I am eager to learn more about casting for sure!

I want to build a forge to make Damascus steel. Now I'm wondering if I can use it to melt material for casting too. I'll have to think about that!

Best,

BW

Old 03-02-2008, 03:49 AM   #7
Mcgyver

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wes, looks good, the homeshop potential for cnc made wood patterns is tremendous. how are you getting the draft angles - multiple passes with steps or are you using one of the end mills with a couple of degrees of taper?

in the first pic it looks like parts came off a 2 1/2 axis machine, are you cnc's the profiles, like say those on the spokes, or are you sanding them in?

great stuff - keep it coming

Old 03-02-2008, 03:55 AM   #8
Powder keg

I am drawing them up in master cam. I have machined everything with a ball endmill. It makes multiple passes. The draft angles are drawn in and the router takes it from there. They require a light sanding when they come off the router.

Later, Wes

Old 08-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
xlchainsaw

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWarfield
Wes, routers are one of the easiest CNC's to make. No end of articles on CNCZone. RE 80/20, sees Joes new 4x4 design on the 'Zone, which is 80/20. Looks like a real nice build out.

You could do this kind of work on a CNC converted mill, but the router allows for larger projects too.

Thanks for starting this thread. I am eager to learn more about casting for sure!

I want to build a forge to make Damascus steel. Now I'm wondering if I can use it to melt material for casting too. I'll have to think about that!

Best,

BW
bob if you build a forge it will be great for melting aluminium and small amounts of brass. if you make a "hood" for it you will turn it into a small furnace. a peice of 50mm or 75 mm steel pipe with a handle on makes a good pot. of course you need to weld a bottom on it lol

Old 08-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
BobWarfield

Yep, I see the hood idea and it's a good one. Most of the forges pivot the lid anyway. Just as easy to make a hood that pivots in place of the lid for forging.

Cheers,

BW