Project of the Month built by driller1432

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Whats Left? > The Break Room > My steep learning curve and other thoughts...

Old 11-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
Brookesy

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default My steep learning curve and other thoughts...

So, here I am setting up my workshop and there's so much to learn to do this properly. The original intention after moving house and starting with a bare 6m x 6m shed was to a) build a sound-proof practice room/studio for my music and a workshop to build guitars. (guitar player - I have both types (acoustic and electric)) That's pretty much done but in the process my focus has changed. Now it's become apparent that model engineering is the way I want to proceed and a long list to projects is forming... First up is a simple engine and boiler but ultimately a 1" scale Minnie is the goal. Bought the plans and boiler kit so i'm committed but then i'm thinking wouldn't it be good to try one at 1/2" scale... probably do-able... and 1/4" scale? Maybe do-able... Anyway, I've still got a long way to go and I'm really enjoying where this is heading after not touching my lathe for many years. I would really like to get hold of a copy of LC Mason's book Scale Model Traction Engine Building Featuring "Minnie". If anyone can advise where to get hold of a copy at a reasonable price I would appreciate it

ACHiPo Likes This 
Old 11-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #2
fcheslop

Liked 87 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Tee Publishing used to sell the book sorry not sure if its still instock
For a simpler traction engine Myfordboys site has a nice wee model and utube videos showing its build or how about a bar stock engine then at least the scrap aint to expensive
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist....45213#msg45213
The drawings are on the johntom web site for free download only found it after buying the book
For Minnie casting I found Blackgates in the UK to be of good quality although I didnt use many only the cylinder and flywheel.
cheers

Brookesy Likes This 
Old 11-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
Brookesy

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info.
I bought the Minnie plans and boiler kit from AJ Reeves so I'll probably get the gear set and a few castings from them too. There's a fair bit of info around on building the Minnie but I'll probably get a copy of the book anyway. Grabbed the 3/4" scale Case info too so that's yet another option.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
fcheslop

Liked 87 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 6

From my own experience of using both companies castings Blackgates are that bit better although I dont know what they are like for overseas shipping
Iv seen a few Minnie bits n bobs for sale on ebay maybe worth keeping an eye open
Good luck with the build
cheers
Brookesy Likes This 
Old 11-25-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Brookesy

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'll check out Blackgates and who knows I might get lucky on Ebay. Shipping to Oz is always expensive these days so unfortunately you just have to accept it.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
Brookesy

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Getting familiar with the lathe and mill, only a couple of minor issues so far. Like after all these years I forgot parting rule #1 on a deep part in aluminium... Luckily just a broken carbide tip

Old 12-12-2017, 04:27 AM   #7
ACHiPo
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookesy View Post
So, here I am setting up my workshop and there's so much to learn to do this properly. The original intention after moving house and starting with a bare 6m x 6m shed was to a) build a sound-proof practice room/studio for my music and a workshop to build guitars. (guitar player - I have both types (acoustic and electric)) That's pretty much done but in the process my focus has changed. Now it's become apparent that model engineering is the way I want to proceed and a long list to projects is forming... First up is a simple engine and boiler but ultimately a 1" scale Minnie is the goal. Bought the plans and boiler kit so i'm committed but then i'm thinking wouldn't it be good to try one at 1/2" scale... probably do-able... and 1/4" scale? Maybe do-able... Anyway, I've still got a long way to go and I'm really enjoying where this is heading after not touching my lathe for many years. I would really like to get hold of a copy of LC Mason's book Scale Model Traction Engine Building Featuring "Minnie". If anyone can advise where to get hold of a copy at a reasonable price I would appreciate it
A man after my own heart! I'm trying to figure out if I have ADHD (Attention Deficit Hobby Disorder) as I dive into something until I'm sated, then move onto something else. I do seem to circle back every few years for another round. By the way, my obsession is now shared between building a car and learning to machine. SQUIRREL!!!

Last edited by ACHiPo; 12-12-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Brookesy Likes This 
Old 12-12-2017, 07:52 AM   #8
Brookesy

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm hearing you. I have a 10 year cycle
ACHiPo Likes This 
Old 12-12-2017, 01:43 PM   #9
TonyM

Liked 77 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Steep learning curve is very apt for this hobby of ours. A short time to learn, a lifetime to master.

Brookesy Likes This