Project of the Month built by dnalot
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > Rockerblock I.C.--Something a little different-

Old 04-29-2017, 10:51 PM   #71
Brian Rupnow
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 3557 Times on 2942 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I was mistooken!!! Before I absolutely committed to a faceplate job, I had to try it in my four jaw. What do you know----it fit, barely. One jaw is out to the point where there are only two turns of the chuck key holding it, but it cleared the ways by about half an inch and tightened up just fine. After turning the spindle by hand, checking for clearances, I started the lathe on it's lowest speed (which is very slow indeed) and seeing that nothing was going to explode in my face, I ramped the speed up to 220 rpm and cut with an HSS tool. Everything seems to have went okay, and I'm finished with that set-up.

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM   #72
Charles Lamont

Liked 90 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 12

An occasionally useful ploy is to put the job at 45 deg. Set-up is not as easy and the method is not strictly kosher as it puts a side load on the jaws and their guides, but with a bit of common sense it is OK (and no more alarming than your arrangement).

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM   #73
Niels Abildgaard

Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Lamont View Post
An occasionally useful ploy is to put the job at 45 deg. Set-up is not as easy and the method is not strictly kosher as it puts a side load on the jaws and their guides, but with a bit of common sense it is OK (and no more alarming than your arrangement).

Niels

Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM   #74
Brian Rupnow

The cylinder head isn't completely finished, but it's about at 95%. Everything fits and follows the plan, so far. It is a cool, rainy, nasty day here, good time to be inside. Good wife is out in my garage rooting around thru a ton of stuff she has collected for a Parkinsons benefit yard-sale. I've machined enough today. Time to wash up and go read a good book.

People Like This 
Old Today, 12:21 AM   #75
Brian Rupnow

As you can see from the pictures, I haven't put the large hole in the cylinder head plate like I show in this solid model. My initial theory was that I needed a hole that big so I could reach thru to the set screws to set the cams in their proper location. I normally set the cams by turning the engine over to the correct point in the cycle with the cam gear locked to the shaft, then turn only the cam until I feel it contact the valve, then tighten the set screw. The only problem with this is that such a large hole will weaken the structural support necessary to keep the cylinder in the right location. The alternative to this is to set both cams in the correct rotational aspect to each other, leave the cam gear loose on the shaft, turn the shaft and cams to the correct position and then lock the gear to the shaft. I'm going to leave that one to "cook" for a while and in the meantime finish the cylinder, piston, and primary con-rod. By that time I will have decided what to do.