Project of the Month built by dnalot
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > Making a dividing plate

Old 04-20-2017, 01:01 AM   #11
gus
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 815 Posts
Likes Given: 1539

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineTom View Post
To make plates you can begin with a 50 hole outer ring, which is two turns on the handle, drill a hole, now with a 50 ring done, do another of ring where you can make some prime multiples like a 39. to get a prime number of holes, easiest is to ask someone who has a DRO bolt circle program to do it for you. Or someone with a CNC would be even better.

You can use a mill with dials to make the prime numbers as well, it takes a while but it will be far better than a fax stuck to a disk and marked out in blue.
Tom.

Well said. While building the Howell V-2, I had gears with 34,21,14,13 Tooth to cut. Would be an awful lot of indexing plates to cover these holes. Choose to go direct indexing. Giving the choice of having a mate to CNC drill this combination Index plate would be best choice. I am a loner here in Singapore. So had no choice but to get a fren to do computer dividing and fax over. Using fax to prick punch all all holes was tedious. There was no room for missing the cross hair. Being a born loser I Spot Drill by hand till I get a good indentation. Went well but the 14 holes had one bad hole. Had to make another 14 plate.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5770.jpg  

Last edited by gus; 04-20-2017 at 01:08 AM.
H. K. Barrows Likes This 
Old 04-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #12
MRA

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineTom View Post
...but it will be far better than a fax stuck to a disk and marked out in blue...
I think I see what you mean if one is going for direct indexing - but the rotary table I am working with is geared at 120:1! So even a 5 deg error on the plate, which would be really, really sloppy work, results in a table error of <.05 deg.

The downside is that I will be counting high numbers of turns, and I'm likely to drop one now and again. The table has protractor marks around the rim which will help as a check, and maybe I should rig up a cam and 'clicker' counter - I have some somewhere I was saving for an electrical coil-winding setup.