Project of the Month built by sbdtasos
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > 1/5 scale Bristol Centaurus

Old 03-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #11
deverett
deverett
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 148 Times on 119 Posts

You obviously have access to some good tooling at school. School must have plenty of spare funds (!) so why not persuade them to invest in something like
http://www.thinbit.com/
There are other companies that have similar tooling but you'll get the idea.

Great progress you are making, by the way.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Old 03-28-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
EthanHopper

Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts

Back at it again, had a few days off school last week but full steam ahead this week. I've started on my cylinder heads now as I'm waiting on tooling to finish up the cylinders, you can see the rough blanks have been cut and faced. They're a very simple design because of the valveless head. You can see here in the drawing (head is in purple) it's basically just a large step turned with the glow or spark plug thread in the center, and the 4 head bolt holes. There is a small groove at the bottom you can see and this is actually for a piston ring, because of the moving sleeve valve which is also the combustion chamber the sleeve needs to seal both on the piston and the head; Therefore it has rings on the piston and on the head that protrudes into the cylinder. I said earlier glow or spark plug because I've allowed room for either but haven't quite decided yet. It has an 8:1 compression ratio so i think should work good with gas or glow and there is a place and optional drive for distributors on the back I'm just still working out if spark is worth the extra time i don't really have

Attached Thumbnails
20170328_111323.jpg   20170328_111707.jpg  
michael-au Likes This 
Old 03-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #13
deeferdog

Liked 117 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I think your work extremely good, as for the fins, have you thought of using a hacksaw blade. Grind the end to shape. I don't imagine you would be going in to any great depth and would give a nice thin groove.
Cheers.