Project of the Month built by Rustkolector

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Whats Left? > The Break Room > Searching for John Samphier

Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
barneywomble

Default Searching for John Samphier

Hi everyone, this is an unusual request. I recently began collecting working model engines... in particular Steam Engines... however I recently had the opportunity to purchase a wonderful model "Hit & Miss" engine. The engine has a small brass name plate with the wording "CHUGGA" by J A Samphier... The engine was purchased from and British gent living in Brisbane in Australia and I purchased it from him. My request is to try and find the original owner and let him know his engine has found a new "safe" home... and of course I would love to know a little more about it. A search of this forum turned up a "John Samphier" so I thought I would post this and some pics in the hope someone may be able to help me or may recognise the engine.

All the Best
Marc

Attached Thumbnails
Hit&Miss-01s.jpg   Hit&Miss-02s.jpg   Hit&Miss-03s.jpg   Hit&Miss-04s.jpg   Hit&Miss-05s.jpg  

Hit&Miss-06s.jpg  

Old 08-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #2
johwen
johwen

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default johwen

Hello Barney,

This is John Samphier the Builder of the engine. I Live in Melbourne Australia and am now retired of course. I was living in Hellensvale at the time and sold it to a fellow who came down from Brisbain. I hope it has given you some enjoyment to own.
The engine was built in 1987 and was based on a Duclos engine of the time however I remodeled the cylinder head making it an OHV which was more typical of the old farm engines. The spark plug was home made as were the gears and piston rings.
I often wondered where it ended up in the wide world and I'm glad to Know that it is still in good hands Obviously a good home! It does look like it could do with a little restoration though?
I have another one I have made about 5 years ago I called "Moderna" this one is a free lance design and I exhibit it annually at a Crank up day of big engines down here in Melbourne and get many an offer from people wanting to buy same.
Currently I am building a Westbury 4 Cylinder "Sealion" almost complete now!

Fhoto attachedjohnsamphier@bigpond.com

Last edited by johwen; 08-14-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Change some text
bazmak Likes This 
Old 08-14-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
RonGinger

Liked 124 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It has always bothered me that so many models are built without a builders plate, or other identification. Artists almost always sign their work, why should our models get any less care? This note is a great example of what can happen when a model is labeled by the builder.

So come on guys, be sure every model you build at least has your name on it somewhere in a permanent fashion, and at best a nice brass label prominently displayed.
People Like This