Project of the Month built by deeferdog
Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > General Engine Discussion > Webster help

Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
Rolland

Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Webster help

I have my Webster completed other than the carb. I have a Traxx Pro 15 for it and was hoping someone that uses this one could give me some of the finer points on setting it up and the adjustments.I did a search but there is so much spread over many threads thought I might consolidate the information. Such as fuel tank outlet level should it be above or below the carb intake and what kind of adapter did you use to fit it to the engine. ??

Old 04-21-2017, 06:17 AM   #2
Longboy

Liked 180 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 76

The Traxas carb works good on low speed home grown model engines. The fuel tank level doesn't matter in relation to the carb height as long as the engine has a draw on the intake stroke. A clear see thru fuel line lets you know right away if the fuel is flowing up to carb. Close the throttle barrel by threading out the horizontal idle speed screw til the throttle arm no longer rotates in the clockwise direction and then thread in .5 to 1.5 turns as the barrel moves open for a start. The hi mix needle valve (bottom of carb), open 1- 1.5 turn. The low mix needle in center of throttle arm, .5 - 1 turn. Start the Webster. If the ign timing and exhaust valve timing is good the hits will come. If you can turn the engine over and thread in/ out the hi fuel mix at same time the engine will let you know what it likes. Idle speed can be set two ways. Barrel position and mixture blend. Lean out will raise engine rpm and rich mix will slow it down. The needle at center of throttle arm is set and forget but must retract from the fuel tube slightly at initial throttle opening. You should be able to get a 1000- 1500 rpm spread on a Webster manipulating carb and ign timing.
Remember that a good place for initial starting is all screws open ......one turn! 1st) vary rpm with hi mix needle. 2nd) Vary rpm using throttle arm.
I use Delrin or brass 5/8in. round to funnel carb to the valve block.

Last edited by Longboy; 04-21-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #3
Mechanicboy

Liked 150 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 180

The hi mix needle valve (bottom of carb), open 1- 1.5 turn. The low mix needle in center of throttle arm, .5 - 1 turn. --> This is setting for methanol as fuel, but of my experience if use gasoline/petrol, the setting of fuel needle is much smaller than the setting for methanol due the gasoline/petrol has high value of enegry than methanol.

See at the movie of my engine : The engine is easy to start up when the fuel amount is set to a bit rich from closed main needle to opened up to 1/4. Then adjust to lean until engine is running without rough. From closed fuel main needle is opened up to 1/8 turns, not much petrol/gasoline to run engine, also the fuel has much energy than methanol.