Project of the Month built by gbritnell

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > Finished Projects > Bruce-MacBeth Gas Engine Electric Plant

Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
Rustkolector

Liked 69 Times on 38 Posts

Default Bruce-MacBeth Gas Engine Electric Plant

This project was posted back in September in the Photo’s section, but wasn’t quite complete. And I know the video wasn’t great either. I am still no better at videography, but results are a little better this time.

This is a 1/10th scale 1915 vintage Bruce-MacBeth stationary 100 hp gas engine electric plant. This engine project was a collaboration between Doug Kelley, and myself using an engine from the collection of the Coolspring Power Museum and another owned by a fellow engine collector Dave Johnson. Both were quite accommodating in the project. The only castings are the flywheels. All other parts and assemblies were fabricated from brass, and steel. The model uses a 1” bore x 1.2” stroke, and has a wet oil sump with splash lubrication. A top mounted camshaft is driven through a pair of miter gears sets from the center of the crankshaft. This drive arrangement was unique to Bruce-MacBeth engines. The rocker arms are roller type on both ends, as original. The real Bruce-MacBeth engines operated at 500 RPM, or less. The model will run at 500 RPM, but oil splash is marginal. It does very well at 575-600 RPM as shown in the video.

The propane fuel system used is ideal for this type engine, and for anyone wanting to run their engine for long periods. It took me a while to understand it, but now I prefer it whenever it can be used. It is almost odorless, won’t flood, won’t ruin paint jobs, and burns extremely clean.

The alternator was added after the engine was completed. My engine looked lonesome by itself so the alternator became a secondary project. It is a similar vintage Westinghouse design. The alternator stator started out as an old induction rotor ceiling fan. The rest was fabricated including the permanent magnet rotor. The output is nominally 115vac at 700 RPM. Being a 2 phase motor the output phases are separated. One phase is used for demonstration load. The other phase is used for powering the cooling fan. The engine/alternator has demonstrated 90 watts resistive output at 115v at 700 RPM. It struggles, but surprisingly still has more throttle left.

The cooling system is comprised of a deaeration/expansion tank, computer radiator, 5 speed fan, circulating pump, and temperature gauge. It works great and keeps the engine at 150-160F with light load even at the lowest fan speed.

It was a lengthy, but fun project. If anyone is interested in plans for the engine, Doug’s excellent build series should be in Home Shop Machinist sometime later this year.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails
B-M-project-1.jpg   B-M-project-2.jpg   B-M-project-3.jpg   B-M-project-4.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 02-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
lazylathe

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Re: Bruce-MacBeth Gas Engine Electric Plant

WOW!!!

That is amazing!!!
Runs like a dream too!

Andrew

Time is money, money is the root of all evil, and knowledge is power. Therefore, procrastination is the key to world peace.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
flyingtractors1

Liked 101 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 38

WOW!!! . Incredible. . Absolutely unbelieveable. Great job Guys, and the video is also superb. Ralph

Old 02-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
Don1966

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wow! That is a very unique setup, being an Electrician and Electronic Tech I can appreciate all your efforts. You have a one of a kind unit. Very good work. I would like to build one but would like to make it smaller. I am currently working on a marine engine to power a PM Reasearch Dynamo I Machined from casting. Very small setup. I love the Fan Motor conversion you done also. I will be looking forward to Doug's post.

Regards Don

Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
kuhncw
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 61 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hi Jeff,

I believe your Bruce McBeth is one of the nicest running low rpm engines I've seen. I'm looking forward to the HSM article to see how you and Doug built these engines.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

Old 02-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Rustkolector

Liked 69 Times on 38 Posts

I appreciate the comments guys. I tend to favor slow running engine designs because they can sound soooooo nice. Glad there are some others out there that like them also.

Jeff

Old 02-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
b.lindsey
Project of the Month Winner!!!
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts

Beautiful and beautifully running engine Jeff. I have seen Doug's as well though not running. Both the pictures and video are great by the way!!! Thanks for posting this wonderful engine in its finished state.

Bill

Old 02-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #8
steamer

Liked 104 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 6

OUtstanding Jeff!

You two should be very proud!

I can attest, it's even better looking in person!

Looking forward to the build article.....this just might make "the list"....

Dave

Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
John Rudd

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Marvellous...I'd love to build something like that but just dont have the time at the moment..maybe when I retire and have completed all the other jobs thus far....

Congrats to a creation well made...

Old 02-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
mh121

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Absolutely stunning job, runs really well. Could I ask how you done the lettering on the crankcase covers if you did not use castings?

Cheers,
MartinH