Project of the Month built by edholly
Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > The Shop > Problem with the new lathe

Old 03-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #11
Nick Hulme

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Call it a night, hit the turps and sling in a warranty claim, it's clearly rooted!

Old 03-13-2017, 03:46 AM   #12
Johno1958
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Motor has got no play and turns over smooth except ripply sort of feel like a stepper motor, but that's it for me ,they can fix it.
John

Old 03-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #13
pepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hulme View Post
Call it a night, hit the turps and sling in a warranty claim, it's clearly rooted!

I agree, mess with it too much and the OP will end up getting blamed.

Greg

Old 03-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #14
Ken I
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 161 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno1958 View Post
Motor has got no play and turns over smooth except ripply sort of feel like a stepper motor, but that's it for me ,they can fix it.
John
That "ripply" feel is indicative of some sort of problem - sounds like a permanent magnet (PM) motor with an armature winding short - could be as little as a single loop - but it plays havoc with the VFD. The motor fails to vector smoothly and sounds can vary from the delicate tinkling of tumbling broken glass to a cement mixer filled with scrap iron.

If it is a PM motor then you can test drive it with a cordless screwdriver (effectively driving the PM motor as an alternator) and measure the three output phase voltages (disconnected from the VFD for this test) one phase will be low - there's your problem.

You might also have a phase short.

P.S. edit - if the "ripply" feeling goes away when disconnected from the VFD - then the problem is in the VFD.

If it's a squirrel cage rotor then none of the above apply and I'm baffled.

Regards,
Ken

Old 04-12-2017, 06:41 AM   #15
kiwi2

Liked 69 Times on 40 Posts

Hi John,
How did you get on? Did you have any joy from the supplier?
Regards,
Alan

Old 04-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #16
XD351

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

From what i can see it is a brushless motor so maybe the problem is in the switching transistors of the motor driver , it could be just a bad solder joint causing one of the dc phases to work intermittently or not switch polarity fast enough to keep up with the other phases .
Its a bit like having a brushed motor running and then slamming it in reverse then back into forward at high frequency .
Either way it is covered by warranty so the seller should fix it and if you are not familiar with mains voltages or circuit boards that work at those voltages i wouldn't go poking around one as there are usually some capacitors that could be still charged to mains potential and can stay charged for a long time after the machine has been unplugged from the power socket .

Old 04-13-2017, 12:38 AM   #17
Johno1958
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Yes that is my thought as well that one of the phases is dropping out .
It's apparently a servo motor.
Anyway parts are suppose to be on the way.
Cheers
John

Old 04-13-2017, 04:30 AM   #18
XD351

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default Problem with the new lathe

If they haven't asked for the faulty board back set it up next to the new one and check the solder joints on both boards , if any look dry or incomplete it may be worth re soldering them before fitting the new board and then keep the old board for a spare and if you spot something that looks like a dodgy solder joint on this board give it some attention with a soldering iron .
Just watch out for those charged electrolytic capacitors - they will bite ya !
If you can , please take some photos of both boards so we can take a look at them and others who follow can compare with their boards etc .

Old 04-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #19
DJP

Liked 49 Times on 42 Posts

Good idea to compare two circuit boards as often I have found engineering changes implemented with an additional component or two soldered on top. It's then easy to upgrade the failed board and have two working again.

Worst case, if there are discrete components save the old board for donor parts. The machine needs to run for a lifetime or two and shouldn't be abandoned in the future because of failed electronics which is usually what happens.

Another easy test is to look for swollen capacitors. This seems to be a common failure point these days and easy to fix.

Since re-soldeirng every wire connection and replacing the speed control pot, my mini-mill has been reliable. I don't worry about it anymore and the project to re-power with a treadmill motor is on the shelf.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:57 AM   #20
Johno1958
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks guy's.
If they allow me to keep the the dud board I'll take it into work for the sparky's to have a look at. I'm a robotic and automatic guided vehicle operator so the fellows at work may have an idea.
Cheers
john