Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > Starting Mini-Lathe Mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010, 01:54 AM   #41
cfellows
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 615 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Re: Starting Mini-Lathe Mods

Nearly finished with my toolpost compound. I decided to make a toolholder which takes a standard carbide insert. I still have to make the clamp and screw to hold the insert down and I have to make or buy a more suitable handwheel. Finally, I need to add the height adjustment stud and nut. It looks like I'll also have to mill some off the bottom of my tool post since the insert needs a little more vertical adjustment room.

The overall travel is 1.25". Think this will be perfect for cutting valve faces and other angular turnings.

Chuck

So many projects, so little time, not enough energy...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2010, 02:07 AM   #42
zeeprogrammer

Liked 170 Times on 170 Posts

Watching with interest Chuck.
That looks nice. With my limited experienced I've had decent luck with carbide inserts.

Carl (aka Zee. will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.)

To work. To work.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #43
alcostich

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Tangential tool bit sharpener

Chuck,

Any chance you could give some dimensions for the jig for the tangential tool bit jig?
Thanks.

Alan

Here are some pictures of the jig I made for grinding tool bits for the tangential holder. It's made from a hunk of aluminum to help conduct heat away from the tool bit. I use the jig with my 2" x 48" vertical belt sander. Cuts fast and relatively cool.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #44
Blogwitch

Liked 143 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Chuck,

All this lot is great work on your part, very professional looking. But I would like to transport you back a few posts to your leadscrew.

Have no worries about it, it is very easy to adjust to getting it to run true to your saddle and bed.

Start at the tailstock end, engage the half nuts, insert screws and tighten up the leadscrew block. Release half nuts, go as far as you can towards the headstock, slacken off the bolts holding the gear train to machine, engage the half nuts, tighten up the loosened screws.

Repeat once more at both ends, and you should find the leadscrew will be centralised as good as you are ever going to get it. You might need to shim up the blocks if it pulls towards the casting, but the way it is made, there is plenty of adjustment built into these machines to get you out of trouble.

With a little work, these machines can be turned into very accurate and robust machines for very little extra outlay, and if ever I had the requirement for one, I would have no qualms about buying one and giving it a good dose of looking at, just as you are doing.

John

Old 08-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #45
cfellows
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Here's a drawing of my tangential tool sharpening jig. The only critical dimension is the 60 degree angle.

Chuck

Old 09-01-2010, 03:38 AM   #46
RollaJohn

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Chuck

I am interested in your Wilton keyless chuck with the Morse Taper arbor. How is it working out for you?

I just looked at your eBay seller's listing and it is still available. It has come down in price to $29.99 with free shipping but I see that you evidently are the only person who has purchased the item. At least the seller claims to have sold only one.

So it is up to you to let us know: Is this a good item or should we save our money for something better? You have the power!!

Newbie or not a Newbie, there's always a question.

Rolla

Old 09-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #47
cfellows
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Well, the Wilton chuck hasn't seen a lot of use, but it seems very well made. The action is tight but smooth and easy. I thought it was a good buy at $60+. At $29 it seems like a screamin' deal!

Chuck

Old 10-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #48
Omnimill
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfellows
Thx, Tin. The apron gear cover is on the list of things to do.

Thx, Bob. This minilathe is almost like a candy store with the number of mods and improvements that are shared on the WEB. I might spend the rest of my machining career tricking out this minilathe!

Thx, TWMaster. Appreciate the comments.

Here are some pictures of the jig I made for grinding tool bits for the tangential holder. It's made from a hunk of aluminum to help conduct heat away from the tool bit. I use the jig with my 2" x 48" vertical belt sander. Cuts fast and relatively cool.

Chuck
Chuck, what angle have you used for your grinding jig?

Vic.

Update, Oops sorry just seen the plan!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #49
cfellows
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Well, I think I'm now an official hoarder of projects. I ordered a 14" mini-lathe bed conversion kit from LMS and it arrived via UPS a few days ago. Tonight I tore down the 10" version and will now reassemble with the new bed. I was pleased to discover that the saddle fit the ways on the new bed perfectly with no adjustment to the gibs. How lucky was that! On the other hand, the long vertical slots for the motor mounting studs are completely missing. May have to look at an alternative motor mount. Might consider putting in an intermediate jackshaft for more high / low control. We'll see.

Has anyone else completed this conversion?

Chuck

Old 10-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #50
winklmj

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfellows
On the other hand, the long vertical slots for the motor mounting studs are completely missing.
If you dont' go the jack-shaft route, there's some info on the web about using a heavy-duty gate-hinge for a pivoting motor mount.

Mike

Quick Reply