Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > Electronic leadscrew for my lathe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
picclock

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

Default Electronic leadscrew for my lathe

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct place for this, but its new and I made so here goes.

This was born out of the frustration of trying to accurately turn parts consistently, and the fact that the slowest leadscrew speed was far too fast for my needs. The speed of traverse on this can be set to < 30 thou per minute.

Hope its of interest.

with additional pictures at

http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad19/picclock/Cheapo%20Electronic%20Leadscrew/

Some rough design notes are in the download section. If you need any further info I'll do my best to oblige.

Best Regards

picclock

Attached Images

From Ashtead, Surrey, United Kingdom
Dedicated to the art of efficiently transforming large useful pieces of metal into ever smaller pieces of scrap.

grahamA Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
ttrikalin

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Re: Electronic leadscrew for my lathe

enjoyed it?
loooooved it!

very neat idea!

best
tom in MA

tom in MA, US

http://web.me.com/ttrikalin/toms_corner/Home.html

Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
chalky

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hello all, This subject is of great interest to me but having refered to Picclocks brief notes, not written in" metalstrangler " is thus a total non understand for me.

The product is great and raises questions -
1. does the PIC have the capacity to do other things ,for example operate a rotary table to divide a circle into a predetermined no of parts for gear cutting?
2. Could the unit be used to control the rotary movement of a cutter in a tool & cutter grinder to follow the lateral movement of the cutter holder.(follow the helix of the cutting edge) .This I find to be a great problem in sharpening small end mills.

Thanks for your time. chalky.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
joegib

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalky
1. does the PIC have the capacity to do other things, for example operate a rotary table to divide a circle into a predetermined no of parts for gear cutting?
I don't know how adaptable picclock's interesting interesting project is to the jobs you've queried — maybe he'll comment on that in due course. You might like to know, though, that there's that there's a mature and reasonably cheap electronic controller project for dividing heads/rotary tables on the CNCZone site. It's designed by 'Kwackers' and fully described here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/open_source_controller_boards/47007-rotary_table_indexer.html

Joe

London, UK

Old 01-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
chalky

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

joegib, many many thanks for the lead to cnc forum you posted. I have spent hours allready reading the thread. What a contributor "Kwackers" is !!!

chalky.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
picclock

@ chalky

I'm afraid the pic on this project is pretty well tapped out, multitasking caliper reading, button presses, motor pulses, display updates, calculating acceleration/deceleration etc.

I would suggest that if you want a rotary table divider (don't we all ) then kwackers one or a kit that Bogs tested (can't remember name) would be a good way to go.

When I started it was just going to be a simple pulse generator for a stepper motor but it sort of mushroomed as I added more and more features.

If I'd had an idea of where I'd end up I'd have included the programming and motor drive for the crosslide

It is turning out to be very useful and a great timesaver when turning large diameter parts at the slow fpm they need.

For me, when I get time, I will make a multiple remote DRO readout for my mill cos I'm to cheap to buy one .. . (and the cost of the batteries )

Sorry about time to reply but I haven't been able to log on to HMEM for some days.

Best Regards

picclock

Dedicated to the art of efficiently transforming large useful pieces of metal into ever smaller pieces of scrap.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
chalky

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mr Picclock sir.
Far from being delayed your speed of very helpfull reply is much appreciated.
The list of hoped for applications was realy only a list of the activities that I find tedious or difficult in my old age.

Many thanks for your input to a truly instructive and enjoyable thread.

chalky,

Old 01-20-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
picclock

@ chalky
If I remember correctly kwackers project uses a pc, whereas the one Bogs tested was a self contained stand alone unit.

(Edit : clearly remembered incorrectly - kwackers unit is stand alone)

best regards

picclock

Old 01-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #9
joegib

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No, the Kwackers project is for a standalone, boxed controller independent of a PC just like the Division Master.

Here's a link to a build described over on the Madmodders site by 'craynerd':

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=2242.0

Here's a U-Tube video outlining a build by M. Parker-Lisberg:

Joe

London, UK

Old 01-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #10
picclock

@ Joe - That's a great video of kwackers project . I must have it mixed up with another rotary table project.

I have the 6" rotary table shown in the video, but don't use it enough (yet) to justify a controller like that. I avoid using mine if possible because of the difficulty of accurately aligning it to the spindle, and then accurately clamping the work to it. It makes me seriously envy those guys who go CNC.

Thanks for correcting my mis-information.

Best Regards

picclock

Quick Reply