Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Machine Modifications > Atlas 618 Lathe Restore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
jolijar

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Re: Atlas 618 Lathe Restore

thats pretty much how it came out... it took a bit of effort but once I got the shaft to start moving it came out easy... yea not looking forward to putting it back in...

The front bearing is stuck on the shaft still is it a press fit or should it come off easily? I am thinking of replacing them with new ones (assuming I find an appropriate replacement.)

If it ain't broke fix it till it is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #12
Blogwitch

Liked 143 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Jolijar,

Do that tiny filing mod and it will save you a lot of grief.

The bearing on mine wasn't too tight at all, definitely it wasn't press fitted.

On the 10F, because of the shape of the bearing outer race, it was a special Timken one, made especially for the lathe and only available from Clausing, and cost an absolute fortune.

Because mine were brinelled (the inner rollers had formed tiny depressions in the outer races) as it had stood for years with the preload still on the bearings, I had a friend regrind the inner surface of the outer races and I just bought new 'normal' Timken taper races of the same size and fitted the new inners to the old reground outers, about 1/4 of the cost, and they worked perfectly for many years until I let the lathe go.

John

Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
moconnor

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Hello Jolijar,

Attached is a link to some Atlas / Clausing Bulletins that show the basic maintenance procedures and give detailed instructions on how to remove the spindle and back gears, which is necessary to replace the spindle belt. This wasn't on the Clausing website the last time I checked, but fortunately someone has saved it. http://scottandersonpipes.com/atlas_press/tb_6bg.htm

Regards,
Mike

P.S. The front spindle bearing is a light press fit on the spindle. Be careful when reassembling the headstock to remember the inner dust shields before installing the spindle and make sure that the 'notch' is aligned with the oil hole at the top.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
gbritnell
Project of the Month Winner!!!
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 265 Times on 365 Posts

One thing you might look into doing while you have it apart. In the big gear on the spindle is a set screw that locks it to the shaft. On mine it comes loose periodically so I would go up one size on the threaded hole so you can use a larger Allen wrench on it. As it is now the wrench is so small that you can't tighten it very well.
gbritnell

Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #15
jolijar

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What size belts do I need? I am almost ready to reassemble the headstock...

Old 05-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #16
jolijar

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I kinda guessed on the size of the headstock belt I got a 34" v belt in there that I think will be about right when I mount up the tensioner I guesstimated with a piece of string. I also picked up a 1/3 hp motor for it and I have the carriage disassembled and ready for paint. Without any major hickups I am hoping to get this running in the next month or so.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
moconnor

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Hello Jolijar,

I haven't had an Atlas 618 for awhile, but looking in my notebook, the headstock to countershaft belt (Atlas PN M6-127A) was a 3L-310 and the countershaft to motor belt (Atlas L9-125) was a 3L-210. The 34" length belt that you chose will be just fine, your countershaft will just be a little further back from the lathe. Same goes with the motor to countershaft belt, nothing is critical because you are in the process of setting up the lathe bench and motor mounting location. Good luck with your new lathe.

Regards,
Mike

Old 10-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #18
jolijar

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I have been working on this project off and on for awhile and I am just about finished with it.

I am missing the screw and cover that holds the brass feed nut? (circled in red).

I still need to
attach the tailstock (paint is drying)
attach the cross slide (paint is drying)
source the gears for the crossfeed

and finally I still need to remove the pulleys from the countershaft. This last part has been giving me some trouble. Right now the inside pulley and stopper both rotate freely but I cant get it to slide back and forth. I am going to bring it with me to the shop at my college and see if I cant carefully press it out.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #19
jolijar

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good news... I got the counter shaft pulley apart.
Bad news. The bearings are shot and need to be replaced
Ugly news. I broke the casting and will have to braze or weld it.

To leave things on an up note I managed to procure a piece of steel that will make a perfect tool post holder.

Quick Reply