Hello all, while attending the 1000 engine rally here in the UK I came across these castings for a small gas engine. The large parts had been machined and a few items were included with the castings. It is always a risk buying castings that have been machined as to whether they are correct or not, luckily these measure up fine to the drawings.
The engine is not a model but a full size engine. The bore is 61mm and the stroke is 80mm. The flywheel is around 14" in diameter and 2" across the face.
Although it is not a model, It is a Klein gas motor of German manufacture, I thought some of you would like to follow my trials and tribulations in a build log for it.
I will be ran on propane and have hot tube ignition, it has sideshaft driven cams that operate the valves. I may also fit a CDI ignition unit and spark plug so that the engine can be run outside if it is windy.
Let me know if you think a build log would be of use to anyone.
A few pics of the castings below, the vernier in front of them is 6" and should give some idea of the physical size of the engine.
Vince what you see in the pictures is all I got, the sideshaft perch brackets and the mains caps will have to be machined or fabricated. Shouldn`t be too much of a problem, the mains caps will be a bit more work as one half is already machined, will have to match the caps up to them.
Right then, let the fun begin. I like to work from castings, don`t know why I just do, so with this in mind I decided to make the parts I felt should have been in a complete set of castings. With this in mind I thought I would start with the sideshaft perch brackets.
Blocks of steel for brackets
Blocks machined square and to required size
Excess cut out on the bandsaw
Step milled to size
Recess for cap machined
Cap block machined to fit main part
Drilled and tapped for screws
Ready for the lathe
Centred in lathe ready to cut first face and bore
First face done and bored to size
cap screw faces machined
Bracket mounting holes drilled and marked out and cut to lines of finished size
And test fit to the engine
I will tidy them up a little more with a file to make them look a little more like castings. Well thats a start anyway.