Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Tools > dovetail cutter speeds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
mnewsholme

Default dovetail cutter speeds

Im cutting some dovetails on a hemingway kits ball turning tool. Whats a typical speed to run the cutter at? at widest diameter cutter is about 1" diameter. do I calculate cutter speed for tip diameter or for average diameter? I'm cutting en1a steel on an x3 mill. Also what sort of depth of cut should I be using. I've already done first two dovetails using 400-600rpm and depths of cut between 0.2 and 0.3mm. Went ok and gave a decent finish but there was a lot of vibration. not sure whether I need to change cutter speed or depth of cut or both. Any suggestions please

matt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
arnoldb

Liked 91 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Re: dovetail cutter speeds

Matt, were you using any form of lubrication ? - If you use a lubricant, you should be able to run at a higher spindle speed - also, your cutter will last longer. It also depends on the rate you feed at.

I know this is not much help - I'm sure one of our more experienced members will be able to provide a better answer

Regards, Arnold

"Necessity, who is the mother of invention" - Plato

Old 05-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
scoop

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

As dovetail cutters are normally straight toothed they cut with a very harsh intermittent action and hence calculating a speed/feed combination based on normal helical type milling cutters can give unsuitable results.For this reason I always use my eyes and ears to determine the speeds and feeds for cutters.As you have already mentioned a lot of vibration It would seem that although the finish is good the cutter speed/feed is probably too high for your setup.Calculating a cutting speed for any form of tool is only a guide for people who require a fast removal of metal as if in a production shop,which normally means that large rigid machines with good fixturing are being used.The life of the tooling is also expected to be much reduced from its maximum.Therefore I always try to make any machining I do to be a be a steady,pleasant,easy on the nerves operation that does not over stress either the parts being cut or the machine tool doing the cutting.So to sum up,if in doubt start with a slow spindle speed and just take a small cut and see what happens.If it all goes well then just up it a little,your machine will tell you when to ease up by complaining(a bit like wives really).Most cutting operations will not suffer by being done at a slower rate than is possible and the tool will still be good to use again after you are done.
I also find that on some dovetail cutters that they have too many teeth on them which can cause chatter and vibration.This I cure by grinding off alternate teeth on the cutter to let the tool cut more smoothly.A bit drastic I know but it does work,but only do it as a last resort.
The above lecture is only the procedure that I use and is by no means to be thought of as the correct method as I am sure that other people have better methods,if it is of any use to you then good luck.

best regards Steve C.

non plaudite-modo pecuniam jacite.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
cfellows
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 604 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've cut a few dovetail slides in cast iron and in steel. I know this might not be best practice in machining, but I've found that the slower the spindle speed the better. I usually run my dovetail cutter on the slowest spindle speed. Just means you have to feed the work slower.

Chuck

So many projects, so little time, not enough energy...

Quick Reply